On 09/25/19 12:30 AM, Leonard Sitongia wrote:
Hello,

I’m trying this for the first time on an early-model Intel NUC. I
configured the hardware for legacy boot (not UEFI). The live system
(from a USB stick containing the latest full 2G distribution) runs.
Starting the installer (text or graphical), I configure the install
and then start it. At about 16-18% through a “cpio check” (something
like that), the screen goes blank and the system reboots.

Is there a known fix for this? What can I do to obtain more
troubleshooting information? I trying tailing the syslog and nothing
came out.

Thank you.==Leonard Sitongia

Leonard,

can you be more precise on the NUC model? How much RAM the system has?

When the system crashes like that, on the next boot you can retrieve crash info, but since this is a Live medium, every information was lost.

Can you install from Text Install USB medium? If you do there's path forward to the desktop by updating the installed system and then installing the "mate_install" meta package (and then removing it).

Yesterday I built OpenIndiana snapshot media, you may want to try these instead: ftp://openqa.oi.mnowak.cz/. They have all the latest illumos and userland packages.

Michal