In regard to: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] 20190511 gui/text boot fails on...:

iDRAC is Dell’s remote management system; I have the full-featured Enterprise
version. KVM. Also has Virtual CD.

ISO files are mounted in the app (Java based running on MacOS in my case) which
is provided to the system remotely. At BIOS boot I’m selecting Virtual CD.

Although I’ve never had a problem, Tim commented that sometimes Dell’s
virtual cd doesn’t always work. Thus I could try a physical DVD.

The 710s where I work only have the limited iDRAC express, which is why I
didn't have a way to test what you were trying.  We're down to only having
a couple R710s left, and those are unfortunately way behind on firmware,
so testing with them probably wouldn't be useful.

Our R720s/R730s/RX40s all have iDRAC enterprise.  It has been ages since
I've successfully used the Java-based virtual CD, but I just tried the
HTML5-based virtual CD (with latest iDRAC version) a couple weeks ago.
I had various boot issues with the bootable ISO from the Dell Update
Utility (DUU).  Once I used a physical DVD, those issues went away.
That's just 1 datapoint, but the virtual CD interface through iDRAC has
always seemed a bit more finicky than physical media.  It's great when
it works, though.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                             tim.moo...@ndsu.edu