In regard to: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] 20190511 gui/text boot fails on...:

In regard to: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] 20190511 gui/text boot fails on...:

I’m no expert on iso boot images but it seems odd that minimal works and
text and gui don’t.

Agreed.  If I can find some time, I may do some testing with our R720s
or R730s, to see if I have the same experience.

I found some time and some hardware, and have at least one interesting
datapoint.

I downloaded the OI-hipster-text-20190511.iso, and verified its sha256
checksum.

I tried booting that on a Dell R730 via the Virtual CD through iDRAC,
which failed.

I then burned the ISO to a physical DVD and tried booting the same R730,
which still failed.

However, using the same ISO, I was able to boot an HP EliteDesk
workstation without any issues.

I then tried the ISO on a different Dell system (an R710, with older
firmware) and experienced the same boot failure.

All the Dell systems I've tried show that they're set to use BIOS,
not UEFI.

The boot errors are the same on all the Dell systems I've tried.
Either after pressing Enter at the configuration menu or letting
the boot countdown run down, I see:

error reading: input/output errorcan't load file '/platform/i86pc/amd64/unix':
input/output error
can't find 'i86pc/kernel/amd64'
can't find 'unix'
can't find 'i86pc/kernel/amd64'
can't find 'i86pc/kernel/amd64'

error reading: input/output errorcan't load file
'/platform/i86pc/kernel/adm64/unix': input/output error

and so on, until it eventually drops to an OK prompt.

Whatever is going on, I'm only seeing it on our Dell servers, but the
problem is the same on each of the platform generations I've tried.

Since both Jedi and I can reproduce this problem, if someone has some
suggestions for what debugging steps we should try, one of us might be
able to make some progress on this.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                             tim.moo...@ndsu.edu