Am 09.11.2019 um 17:15 schrieb Harry Putnam:
I've decided to finally update my version of hipster.  I think it
might date to January of 2018 going by the date on the last zfs
creation date.

I want to know if the details I've extracted from the running version
shown below will provide enough info for someone to answer my
questions shown below.

,----
| uname -a
|  SunOS oiv 5.11 illumos-8c33116662 i86pc i386 i86pc
`----

Can the date of the kernel above be divined from the version number above?

If you have cloned the illumos-gate repository ("git clone
https://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-userland.git";) you can get information
about the latest commit that is in your boot enviroment by issuing "git
show 8c33116662".

-------       -------       ---=---       -------       -------

,----
| sudo ls /.zfs/snapshot
|   zfs-auto-snap_monthly-2018-01-06-16h05
`----

I do not recall, but I may have continued to run OS beyond the date
of last `auto snapshot' shown above.  I may have ran the OS without
the auto snapshot enabled but I believe the date shown is at least
close to the last run date.

"zfs list -t snapshot" should give you the same information without the
need to increase your rights with sudo.
"beadm list" will show you all existing boot environments with their
creation dates in your system.

-------       -------       ---=---       -------       -------

,----
| pkg publisher
|     PUBLISHER       TYPE     STATUS P LOCATION
|  openindiana.org  origin   online F http://pkg.openindiana.org/hipster/
`----

Before updating the OS, will I need to do anything with publisher shown
above?

No, everything is fine with your publisher.

And lastly:

Although I have run Openindiana and then Hipster for a few years, I
still have only a basic skill level: Am I likely to run into serious
problems updating from a version over a 1 year old?

Check https://www.openindiana.org/category/announcements/ for
information and head-ups.
If you are having problems you can ask for help either here or on IRC
(see https://www.openindiana.org/community/support/).

Regards,
Andreas