> On 3. Mar 2021, at 18:13, Reginald Beardsley via openindiana-discuss
> <openindiana-discuss@openindiana.org> wrote:
>
> Categorically does *not* work on my 4 slot Z400. It kernel panics before it
> reaches the single user milestone using the device specified in the prtconf
> -v output from my system. With the"2822" device Gary specified the boot
> fails. So it is not as simple as has been presented.

it Iis a bit more complicated, I’m afraid. I guess, if you boot -k, you will
see it will complain about being unable to mount rootfs. *if* that is the case,
you would need to boot from cd/usb, use update_drv to bind ahci driver, then
import rpool, beadm mount your be and use devfsadm -r and bootadm
update-archive -R

> BTW I've consistently been unable to login to single user mode on the GUI
> disk. It does not accept jack/jack, root/root or root/<null>. Is there
> something it *does* accept? In any case this should be fixed. It provides no
> security at all. At milestone all "sudo /bin/su" provides full control.
>
> Whoever decided that the root password entered at install time should be
> expired on first login should be hung by their thumbs. That is *very*
> annoying.

root/openindiana

> But not using all of a 5 TB disk in the GUI "full disk" install is simply
> brain dead. If a new user sees that they are not going to be favorably
> impressed. Even if the "new user" has the chops to fix it via the other, "not
> the same as the other" text installer.

MBR partitioning only does allow to address up to 2TB disks. Please use GPT/EFI
partitioning instead.

https://www.howtogeek.com/193669/whats-the-difference-between-gpt-and-mbr-when-partitioning-a-drive/

rgds,
toomas