Good suggestions, but sadly didn't work.

Using option 2 single user also fails with the same errors.

I've also tried the USB interface in various booting modes,
unfortunately none of which work.

I took a look at the variables in the boot options, just for the sake
of it, and couldn't find anything obvious that would help

Michelle.