After logging in at 800x600, use System / Hardware / Displays / to set Resolution to match your Full Screen Size

For me, it is 1366x768 on a AMD RADEON Windows 10 laptop.

Hipster handles this well and Mate remembers the setting next time the desktop starts.

When testing packages for WindowMaker and IceWM, I found it is easy to full screen them too.

Log into the new window manager.

Start mate-appearance-properties in an xterm.

It will start the mate-settings-daemon process.

When the window-manager resizes to full screen just close mate-appearance-properties.

Unlike Mate, they will not remember this the next time you use them.