On 9/05/2023 11:38 am, Gary Mills wrote:
On Tue, May 09, 2023 at 08:17:42AM +1000, Carl Brewer wrote:

Three of them. Have been running OI since it was OS, oh, almost 20 years
now?  One of my three is about that old too.  Rock solid.

I found I had to use an HDMI "dummy" to get the newer ones to boot.

I wondered if an HDMI console was somehow special.  The system I'm
using has only HDMI and Display Port connectors for a monitor.  It has
no VGA connector.

I only found out after setting a new (2 years ago now) generic consumer PC motherboard up as a server, doing all the setup etc on a bench with an HDMI monitor, then popping it in a rack with a KVM switch and it would not boot. The KVM switch didn't provide enough info to the graphics port for it to start cleanly. It would just hang.

I did write about it here on this list at the time, but the archive is AWOL and I can't find my notes.

Quite annoying! Maybe someone on this list knows what sort of KVM switch might provide enough for a HDMI card to behave at boot time? I don't know the terminology, so search engines are not being kind! I'd really like to be able to use one.

Carl