Quoting Rainer Heilke <rhei...@dragonhearth.com>:

On 5/13/24 22:50, Toomas Soome via openindiana-discuss wrote:

On 14. May 2024, at 08:12, Rainer Heilke <rhei...@dragonhearth.com> wrote:

Hi.
I keep running into documentation that tells me to do a task by firing up the Sun Management Centre, but OI doesn't seem to have it, nor can I find any way of getting/installing it. Is it available for OpenIndiana? Is it maybe in a different repository? The documentation needs to either explain how to get it, or any reference to it needs to be purged, IMNSH opinion. If the former, I may be able to help a bit, as energy levels allow.
??
Rainer
I’m afraid, it is long dead. So yes, if you see the references, please do file the issue (and patches are also very welcome!).

thanks,
toomas

I'll look into how to file issues, and make a note of the pages I've already found.

Unfortunately, that means a number of documents need to be fleshed out with the proper chain of commands to perform the functions, and I don't know how much I can help. Aside from limited energy, I never had to deal with RBAC, etc. This is new-ish territory for me, having always used sudo when I was working. (I want to learn the "proper" RBAC way of doing things, even if only for kicks and giggles, which is why I was looking into this in the first place.)

Rainer
Hi Rainer,

I use RBAC quite often, on Solaris as well as on OpenIndiana since I
am running Sunray desktops for class on Solaris in kiosk mode to have
the students connect to OpenIndiana machines for their tasks to do.
The students have to do admin stuff on the target systems but are all
homed on one OpenIndiana machine to start from. So RBAC and resource
management are needed. If you reference to the old Solaris 10 documentation,
both run smoothly. I do not use any GUI but xterm for that as for most
tasks on theses boxes. Have a look in the old documentation. Resource
management works quite the same as on solaris 11, also have a look there

By the way, I do have an issue with resource management on OpenIndiana,
that is, if a student runs against certain limitations mostly in number
of lwps, the resource management terminates the X server. That it does
for all sessions. Haven't had the time to dig into this and I am not
sure if it is of any interest since my setup is not so commonly used.

The Sun Management Center was a long and not so enthusiastic story as
since Solaris never had consistent admin GUIs as example smit on AIX oder
sam on HP-UX

Rolf