On 27/08/2013 17:59, Felipe Heidrich wrote:
Hi John

Thank you for the images!

Comparing DirectWrite versus T2K for grayscale text the main difference that
jumps at me is that in DirectWrite (which is what you get when prism.text=t2k
is not set) the glyphs look a touch taller, looking somewhat stretched.
Inspecting it closely you can see the actual pixel size is the same, it is the
anti-aliasing at the top that is different.
I'll see if anything can be done differently in DirectWrite to avoid this
'stretched' look, would that be better ?
The stretched look doesn't really bother me, it was just something that changed (the apparent height) that I couldn't put my finger on. What botheres me more is that the bolded glyphs (especially the "2") look wierd, the thickness of parts of the same glyph seems to vary (not just the "2" is affected, more glyphs look a touch worse, especially in the top bar in my first screenshot: http://ukyo.xs4all.nl/Digit2RenderedPoorlyInTopBar.png -- the legs of the M and H for example have different thickness.. the "2" jumps out though)

Whether those are result of the stretched look or not I cannot say. I can also imagine that if you're using DirectWrite that there's little that can be done about it. Are there any advantages of using DW over t2k?

DirectWrite LCD for me is the one that gives the best result. That said, that
is something wrong going on in the text over the progress bar.
Yes, DirectWrite LCD certainly looks crisp, unfortunately I cannot use it as my target is not an LCD screen.

I think however I know now what causes the text bug in the progress bar. It's not really a progress bar, but just memory bar with text on it that's supposed to be readable no matter what using an inversion effect... It's this effect that I suspect causes problems with the tricks used for LCD rendering, as a simple inversion of LCD rendered glyphs is probably not gonna give the desired smooth result.

It's basically this, a Rectangle (with some CSS styling) and a Label in a StackPane. The BlendMode.DIFFERENCE is what I suspect is causing the issue. If so, LCD rendering may have to be disabled in these cases:

  private final Rectangle memoryBar = new Rectangle();
  private final Label memText = new Label();

  private final StackPane gc = new StackPane() {{
    getStyleClass().addAll("element", "memory");

    getChildren().add(new StackPane() {{
      getStyleClass().add("bar");
      getChildren().addAll(memoryBar, memText);
    }});

    memText.setBlendMode(BlendMode.DIFFERENCE);

    memoryBar.setWidth(150);
    memoryBar.heightProperty().bind(memText.heightProperty());
  }};

Is it possible to run the same test case on Mac ? (Grayscale text,
prism.text=t2k *not* set).
Unfortunately, I donot own a mac, and can't easily borrow one at this time.

--John

Regards
Felipe