On Sep 3, 2013, at 11:23 AM, Richard Bair <richard.b...@oracle.com> wrote:

>> Wouldn't it be better to allow developers to override methods at their own
>> risk.
>
> There's no such thing. When some big customer overrides methods, we have no
> choice but to support their app for the foreseeable future. Which is why
> deprecated stuff never could be removed from the JDK as well. And a host of
> bugs won't be fixed. When the CEO of a customer with a major hardware
> contract comes knocking -- well, at that time you really wish you had
> designed the API differently.

(This is a danger we run with the impl_ methods as well, which is why this must
be fixed in Lombard or we're going to get into trouble. This is also why we
hide all com.sun APIs in JavaFX from the javac compiler in 8 and are closing up
the gaps. It really all comes down the shared install, if there was no such
thing, then we wouldn't have to be quite so uptight)