I am chasing a edge case that probably only happens in certain Embedded
configurations. If we don't find *any* fonts, then we quietly fail and blame it
on CSS :-)

I say blame it on CSS because the resulting hard failure is:
Exception in thread "JavaFX Application Thread" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
Could not initialize class javafx.scene.CssStyleHelper
This is because CSS needs a font for various calculations.

With Embedded, if libfontconfig is not present (or improperly configured) you
will not find any fonts.

I would like thoughts on my putting a more informative error message out, and
making zero fonts an earlier hard failure.

What I would really like to do is to be able to put a URL to a Fonts wiki page
(like: https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/OpenJFX/Font+Setup) but not sure
how well that would stand up to the test of time.

The code point in FontConfigManager is:

        if (anyFont == null) {
            if (debugFonts) {
                System.err.println("Fontconfig returned no fonts at all.");
            }
            fontConfigFailed = true;
            return;

--
David Hill <david.h...@oracle.com>
Java Embedded Development

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-- Douglas Adams