I am not sure what you are looking at but I see 255,255,255 pixels on all sides of the stems. The stems are touching 3 pixels. I'm talking about the ones to the sides of
those 3 pixel wide stems.

In any case I've used Windows 7 wordpad and Segoe UI 9pt (aka 12pixel) and
can see identical rendering to your Outlook case.

Wordpad (and so I infer Outlook) is using GDI which
1) is very likely a different rasteriser (FX is using the one from DirectWrite)
2) doesn't do sub-pixel positioning because its only got int APIs.

So this seems to come down to DirectWrite vs GDI and personal preferences ...

-phil.