Hi Tom,
in all of our layout panes we do check for min/pref/max size (I think), but strictly speaking they are all just size hints so I can imagine a layout pane which would not check for these and compute the size of the child in some different way. On the other hand, the size hints, esp. min size gives an information about the minimum size of the Node with which is the Node "usable".

But to be safe, you should always check for validity of your cached calculations in all compute* methods + at the beginning of layoutChildren().

-Martin