I have a couple of solutions for this right now, but neither are optimal:

        1.
GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment().getDefaultScreenDevice(),getDefaultConfiguration()
                .createCompatibleImage(1,
1).createGraphics().getFontMetrics(font).stringWidth(string)
        2. new
javafx.scene.text.Text().setFont(font).setText(string).prefWidth(-1) // Some
poetic license here

jeff