I can't speak to other IntelliJ issues, but the root cause of this particular one is the same thing that Debbie ran into last week -- IntelliJ doesn't launch programs using the standard Java launcher. For whatever reason, it uses its own launcher. This might be worth raising with JetBrains.

-- Kevin

Jonathan Giles wrote:
Kevin,

Yes, that is the program I used, and yes, I get the 'Toolkit not initialized' exception. I am running IntelliJ, so that is the reason. I switched over to Eclipse and the code run as expected.

I am slightly bothered by the occasional failures that seem to be IntelliJ-specific. I have a gut feeling that it doesn't always run all tests (or that it runs them slightly differently to get different results than when run on the command line). Does anyone know why this is?

I'm actually most at home in Eclipse, so perhaps I should switch to that as my primary IDE for OpenJFX development.

-- Jonathan