The icon can be customized prior to the 8u20 release via magic file locations:

http://docs.oracle.com/javafx/2/deployment/self-contained-packaging.htm#BCGICFDB

You can customize both the app icon as well as the DMG icon, and the backing
image.  The main issue is you need to create an icns yourself.  Another option
is to use the gradle plugin I wrote that will create the ICNS for you out of
PNG images.

File Association support is not coming in 8u20, I will take this message as a
vote to add it to a later release.