Christian,

With my OpenJFX hat on:

Scene Builder is open source - you can access it by cloning the OpenJFX rt repo, and you'll find the Scene Builder source code in apps/scenebuilder.

With my ControlsFX hat on:
Regarding getting ControlsFX to play nicer with Scene Builder - that is really a matter for the ControlsFX project to resolve. ControlsFX needs to follow the requirements of Scene Builder and FXML, and I'm not 100% clear on what the definitive list of requirements is, but I know some of the requirements include having a public no-args constructor, and using @NamedArg on constructor parameters to define the parameter name. I have been hoping someone from the community would step up to make ControlsFX more FXML and Scene Builder compliant. If you're interested please ping me off-list.

Relatedly, I recently asked if the Scene Builder team if someone could take a quick look at ControlsFX to cast their expert eyes over the API and let me know what is and isn't going to work well for them.

Thanks,

-- Jonathan