Hi,

it has been discussed a number of time in the passed but let me
quickly summarize:

A number of people have requested a feature that provides the ability
to have native code draw into a surface provided by a JavaFX
application as fast as technically possible, i.e. with no indirection
or copying because use cases for this were mostly cases where
performance was critical, e.g. HD/UHD video players, real-time
visualization etc. where losing even e few percent would make a
software written in JavaFX unable to compete with native products
(e.g. in the video area nobody will use a video player that is not
able to play the content smoothly that VLC player or Quicktime can on
the same machine). Some people already have libraries of native code
that they have built over the years and would like to reuse. I would
even go so far to say that our product will probably never be able to
move to JFX (apart from mixing it a bit with Swing, which we currently
see rather aa a migration strategy and not as the end result) without
this problem solved.

In the past the reactions/signals from the Oracle team in this respect
were mixed but some of it indicated that this topic was discussed in
the past and might be revisited after the release of JFX 8. Now that
the latter has happened I would like to ask what the plans for this
are.

Is there a Jira Issue where we can track the progress of it?

If not, does it make sense if I open one, so people (probably the same
ones that have participated in these discussions in the past like
Scott and the Ultramixer guys etc.) can collect their
requirements/thoughts?

Even if Oracle should decide not to do something about it, it would
still be nice to get pointers in the code base to where this would be
possible, even if it is non-portable. I know that for our product it
would be totally OK to have different ways of doing this for each
platform and to live with the limitation to not be able to manipulate
the result in the FX scene graph apart from that the position of the
surface moving with the hosting FX node and as far as I have
understood others, it is the same for them.

Maybe a Jira issue could also be a good place to bundle information
about approaches interested parties are willing to pursue.

Thoughts anyone?

Robert