The thing I can confirm is that the Text is inside a TextFlow but I'm
fairly unable to provide a test-case because it happens at random times
- I'll try to update to the latest u40 build to see if the fix from Jim
helps me.

For the time being I was able to work around the problem by adjusting
the PathElements returned to be never larger then the text-elements
height which too me sounds like a reasonable constraint because I can't
think of a situation where the caret should ever be larger than the
Text-Bounds.

Tom