+1 for deprecation of VP6 and clearing the way to open sourcing of JFXMedia.

On a related note, you will soon need to support H.265/HEVC.  HEVC apparently
also supports an alpha channel, so it may also address that concern. (See
http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-H.265-201504-I/en)

All of this might be much easier to handle if JDK-8091063 is addressed (the
open sourcing of JFXMedia may assist with this).

The brilliant guy that filed that issue nearly seven years ago was on to
something :-)

Then legacy formats could be provided in optional downloads and new formats can
be supported without the need to integrate them within the JRE code.

Regards,

Scott