+1 for deprecation - I haven't used VP6 in a long while, and would value
the whole thing being open source more than its inclusion.

Out of interest, is this anything to do with JEP 257? I started looking at
this with Kirill's guidance a year or so ago, but sadly many other things
had to take precedence so I didn't really have the time.

Michael

On 27 August 2015 at 12:39, Scott Palmer <swpal...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Aug 27, 2015, at 2:29 AM, Dr. Michael Paus <m...@jugs.org> wrote:
> >
> > Am 26.08.15 um 22:25 schrieb Scott Palmer:
> >>
> >> Then legacy formats could be provided in optional downloads and new
> formats can be supported without the need to integrate them within the JRE
> code.
> >>

> > To me this sounds again like a Java/JavaFX specific solution which, to
> my opinion, is a dead-end road. I think it would be much more important
> that JavaFX can directly use all system installed codecs. I simply don't
> understand why it is possible to install a codec pack on a machine and
> almost all software, with the exception of JavaFX, is able to immediately
> use that and only JavaFX based applications are not.
> >
> > Michael
>
> I agree that codecs that are usable by the system’s default media
> framework should work.  However, I believe that is already supported in
> most cases, is it not?

It's not - JavaFX can decode the audio / video / container formats that it
knows about through its GStreamer plugins, and nothing else (unless you
compile them in yourself, which isn't all that hard.)

--
Thanks,

Michael