Hi,

I agree with most that has been said here, but I want to add a few things.

I've seen a number of "performance issues" with JavaFX in customer
projects. Most of them are simply due to the application doing things on
the FX App Thread that shouldn't be done there.

Apart from these obvious things, it is indeed mainly the CSS and layout
processing that consumes most of the time. I spent lots of time working on
mobile performance, and in that context the CPU limitation is even more
pronounced, as the GPU on modern mobile devices is pretty good. I don't
have enough different devices, but to give an idea about numbers: when
running a typical app, the GPU load on my desktop is about the same as the
GPU load on my Nexus 5, but the CPU load on the Nexus is 5-10 times higher
than on desktop. I measure this by comparing numbers in the pulseLogger.
Hence, on mobile the limitation that only a single thread can do the
CSS/layout phase AND the rasterisation is really a bottleneck.

However, there are many tricks that can make it better. Contrary to e.g.
Android and iOS, the JavaFX API's still allow for lots of flexibility that
can be very helpful, but that also can easily kill performance. Caching is
one of those things. If you cache the right Node, you'll gain a lot. But if
you cache a Node that often becomes dirty, you screw performance.
There is no general solution for this, I believe. The way to address this
is to create components that work for specific usecases (e.g. cache the
content of a pane while animating, and don't cache it once it might change
again). This is what we do in the Gluon Mobile components.
Complex CSS and layout changes are CPU hungry as well. About the latter: be
careful about bounds that vary (e.g. start with a negative offset) without
any visual consequence, as this will increase the dirty region.

Profiling is the most important thing to do when your application is slow.
Find the bottleneck, fix it, go to the next bottleneck. Each application
has its own bottlenecks, but with enough time, I really believe all
applications can at least be improved.

One of the great things about JavaFX is the decoupling between the API and
the rendering pipeline. If someone writes a renderer that works completely
different from the existing ones, that is fine. All applications should be
able to run with this.

One of the things I'm thinking about is to see if/how Vulkan would be a
good alternative to OpenGL. But that would not speed up the single-threaded
bottleneck, so I applaud all initiatives in that area (e.g. do some
parallel CSS processing/)

- Johan