Hi all,

First I hope I'm writing to the correct mailing list, if not please suggest
where to write instead. Also if it is worth writing back as separate
messages per issue or item, please do let me know.

Some of my observations and feedback when using *javapackager*:

*Positives*
- .dmg and .msi packaging work very well out of the box, easy to put
together configuration settings
- .rpm packages build very quickly
- a number of features from FPM (docs
<https://fpm.readthedocs.io/en/latest/> | GitHub
<https://github.com/jordansissel/fpm>) available but some more for the
individual types of packages would certainly help (for e.g. exposing some
more of the CLI flags for DEB and RPM packaging)

*Improvements*
- [doc and example required]: Additional documentation and examples around
how to add a license when building a package would be helpful. After a bit
of searching on google and experimenting with couple of combinations of CLI
options I was able to figure it out.
- [doc correction]: jvmUserArg is referred to in the documentation with
examples, while in the usage documentation jvmOptions is used (discrepancy
between the names of flags), see
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/technotes/tools/unix/javapackager.html
 and
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/9/deploy/self-contained-application-packaging.htm#JSDPG585
- [doc correction]: same goes for mac.signing-key-user-name while there is
no mention of it in the javapackager usage documentation, it takes the full
name of the user i.e. *Jane Doe*
*- *[doc and example required]: just adding
mac.signing-key-developer-id-app=xxxxx isn't enough, needs the other
code-sign related flags as well, possibly key should be in the Mac KeyStore
when building it (check if id provided is the correct one, additional
examples would definitely help to reduce or eliminate experimentation and
assumptions)
- [potential bug]: Using *-B*systemWide=true flag causes error -10810 when
building on the MacOSX in non-gui mode, can be overridden by using the
-Bmac.dmg.simple=true but we loose the backdrop and automatic shortcut
creation, etc... Swappin gthe order to: -Bmac.dmg.simple=true and *-B*
systemWide=true does not help, still ends up building a .dmg package with
just the app in it (no icon, no background)
- code signing examples for Windows and MacOSX will certainly help quite a
bit
- [doc and example required] .deb packages take a long time to build, some
additional flags that can help. Some findings along the lines on how to
speed up dpkg-build:

export CCACHE_DIR=/home/$USER/.ccache

export CCACHE_HASHDIR=$CCACHE_DIR

export DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS="${DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS} --preserve-envvar=CCACHE_DIR
--prepend-path=/usr/lib/ccache parallel=jobs"

echo "Debian build options: ${DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS}"

-------------------------------

A response with answers for the above will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Mani
--

@theNeomatrix369 <http://twitter.com/theNeomatrix369>  |  Blog
<http://neomatrix369.wordpress.com/>  |  @adoptopenjdk | Dev communities

Meet-a-Project - MutabilityDetector <https://github.com/MutabilityDetector>
 |  Github <https://github.com/neomatrix369>  | Slideshare
<https://www.slideshare.net/neomatrix369>  | LinkedIn
<http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/mani-sarkar/71/a77/39b>

Come to Devoxx UK 2018: http://www.devoxx.co.uk/

Don't chase success, rather aim for "Excellence", and success will come
chasing after you!