One of the big challenges in running JavaFX with OpenJDK builds is that developers need to build OpenJDK locally themselves and include the JavaFX bits produced by a locally-built OpenJFX build.

In an earlier email with the subject "javafx might not be present" [1], I mentioned our intention to make it easier for OpenJFX to be built, tested, and run with OpenJDK builds that don't already contain javafx.* modules. This will pave the way to allow a set of pre-built javafx modules to be distributed that will run on top of a pre-built OpenJDK.

By way of update, this work is underway and can be tracked via the following two JBS issues:

1. Removing internal dependencies:

JDK-8195798 [2] : Address dependencies in javafx.* modules on internal APIs of core modules

The above is an umbrella task that points to several linked blocking bugs. All of these bugs are in progress and a few are already done (e.g., removing jdk.internal.Unsafe from Marlin).

2. Enabling the building, testing, and distribution as a set of separate modules

JDK-8198329 [3] : Support FX build / test using JDK that doesn't include javafx.* modules

This one depends on the first two, but can be started in parallel, so I plan to start on it in the next few days.

Let me know if you have any questions on this.

-- Kevin

[1] http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/openjfx-dev/2018-February/021447.html