Ok, it went faster than expected. I can confirm that missing subpixel rendering was the issue.

Archlinux has some alternative freetype packages which provide Cleartype rendering. I found one that works on my machine and now the text is rendered correctly.

Thanks a lot. I've searched for a solution to this behaviour for quite a couple of days and you provided me with the correct answer within an hour.

For reference (if someone else has the same problem): I've installed the package freetype2-ultimate5 from the AUR repository. freetype2-cleartype would've probably been the better choice as it is advised to use this one in the wiki article from my previous mail. But that package currently doesn't compile on my PC.

Arne