I created a pull request [3] for this, and discovered that the CI builds for the GitHub sandbox are using JDK 9.0.4. Michael Ennen is fixing this by switching both the Travis and Appveyor CI builds to use JDK 10 [4].

Given the disruptive nature of bumping the minimum, I think it is wise to wait another day or two before taking any action on my proposal to bump the minimum (we can and should still proceed to upgrade the CI builds to use JDK 10). This will give others who might have concerns a chance to comment.

Comments?

-- Kevin

[3] https://github.com/javafxports/openjdk-jfx/pull/61

[4] https://github.com/javafxports/openjdk-jfx/pull/63

Kevin Rushforth wrote:
As mentioned in another thread [1] we should update the minimum boot JDK used to build FX to 10, which will allow the use of JDK 10 langauge features, such as 'var', as well as JDK 10 APIs. It's also the right time to do this in general. I filed a new RFE [2] to track this and plan to send it out for review next week.

Please let me know if there are any concerns. We already use JDK 10 to build FX 11 ea bits. I presume that the travis and appveyor CI builds of the github mirror do the same?

-- Kevin

[1] http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/openjfx-dev/2018-March/021671.html