That's why I requested that since a long time from the packager because
a splash has to be part of the native launcher created.

The Eclipse-RCP-Launcher does exactly the right thing:
* Show a static image (IIRC they use bmp)
* Once the VM and UI-Toolkit is up replace that image with a window (SWT
  calls it Shell) so that you can go interactive showing videos,
  a progressbar, ...

Tom