I note that this isn't really the right forum for discussing the cost or support model of JavaFX, but since the question has come up, I'll add my 2 cents.

The notion of requiring commercial vendors to pay to use the latest feature release of JavaFX is impractical at best. As a community-driven open-source project, one can take the sources and produce binaries from the openjfx repo that can be distributed for free, so if someone started charging for binaries built from those same sources, there would be no incentive for anyone to buy them.

That leaves a support-based model, which seems more workable anyway. In this model, using the JavaFX libraries would remain free, but application vendors could pay for support from a commercial vendor willing to offer it.

-- Kevin