Inline

> On Dec 10, 2018, at 2:16 PM, August Nagro <augustna...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I wouldn't recommend publishing JMOD files on maven central since the file
> format is not yet stable (based on zip currently, but ideally will change to
> better compression in the future). JMOD seems to be 'unfinished business'
> from JPMS.

I don’t see that as a problem as new versions can be uploaded as required.

> I've also found that for some reason building modular FX applications with
> jlink + JMOD files produces significantly bigger runtime images than with the
> SDK.

Well I don’t know what the full difference is, but for one the jmod-based
runtime would have the native libraries in compressed. The class data may also
be uncompressed depending on the jlink options used.

It’s too bad this is such a mess. JMOD files can’t be used at runtime, but they
have a mechanism to hold native libraries. JAR files lack that mechanism so
they can’t be used to make a proper runtime image.  I don’t know why a
convention for including native libraries (in the META-INFO folder for example)
wasn’t established, but I suspect it had to do with all the improvements they
wanted for JMOD that didn’t happen anyway.

JMOD now is just a mangled jar that isn’t particularly useful.  How do you
debug code that has native libraries without the expense of creating a runtime?

Regards,

Scott