To: OpenJFX Contributors,

As most of you are aware, Project Skara is moving forward with a proposed JEP [1] to migrate various OpenJDK projects to git, likely hosted on GitHub. A read-only git mirror of the HG openjfx/jfx-dev/rt repo [2] is available on GitHub at openjdk/jfx [3]. Similarly, there is a read-only mirror of the jdk/jdk repo [4] as well.

We've been talking with the Skara team about having OpenJFX be one of the "early adopters" in the git transition. Since a large percentage of the JavaFX code reviews are already happening on GitHub as pull requests against the javafxports/openjdk-jfx (sandbox) mirror, the OpenJFX project would be a natural fit for this.

For contributors who are not Committers, there won't be many differences, other than some of the steps will go away (e.g., the Skara tooling will automate the RFR email). For Committers, there will be some minor differences, primarily around eliminating steps -- no more need to merge the pull request into "develop", export the patch, import it into a Mercurial repo, and push it to the official HG repo. Instead, you will use the "/integrate" command as a PR comment to merge the pull request, and then you are done. You will still need to update JBS, at least initially, to resolve the bug as fixed and add the URL to the commit, but even that will be automated at some point.

Developers who are interested in leaning more about the Skara tools and workflow can find information on the Skara Wiki [5], GitHub project [6], and mailing list [7]. I note that using the Skara client-side tools on your desktop is completely optional. I expect many (most?) developers will use the GitHub workflow they are already used to via the web interface, but there is an option for those who want to use the command line tools like "git pr".

As a final note, I recommend waiting to create a personal fork of the openjdk/jfx mirror, since the Skara team is going to re-convert all openjdk/* mirrors in a couple days [8], and you will just end up having to delete and refork.

Comments on this proposal are welcome.

-- Kevin

[1] https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/357
[2] http://hg.openjdk.java.net/openjfx/jfx-dev/rt