On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 05:32:04 GMT, John Neffenger <jgn...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> This pull request adds dependency verification to the Gradle builds of JavaFX
> on Linux, macOS, and Windows. It is the third of three changes that close the
> gaps in the JavaFX build security:
>
> * [JDK-8262236][1]: Configure Gradle checksum verification
> * [JDK-8263204][2]: Add Gradle Wrapper Validation Action
> * [JDK-8264010][3]: Add Gradle dependency verification
>
> "Without dependency verification it's easy for an attacker to compromise your
> supply chain," warns the [Gradle User Guide][4]. All three changes come from
> conference talks by members of the Gradle team, available as [PDF slides][5]
> or on YouTube in the following two videos:
>
> * [Cédric Champeau at Devoxx][6] in November 2019
> * [Louis Jacomet at Jfokus][7] in February 2020
>
> "We all run in a crazy-unsafe environment," says Louis Jacomet at the end of
> his talk. These three changes make it just a little less crazy-unsafe for all
> of us building JavaFX, regardless of our system, network, or country.
>
> [1]: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8262236
> [2]: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8263204
> [3]: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8264010
>
> [4]: https://docs.gradle.org/current/userguide/dependency_verification.html
> [5]:
> https://www.jfokus.se/jfokus20-preso/Protecting-your-organization-against-attacks-via-the-build-system.pdf
> [6]: https://youtu.be/GWGNp3a3hpk
> [7]: https://youtu.be/bwiafNatsf0

This seems like a good idea to do. I have a couple overall questions before
reviewing / testing.

1. Can you add some sort of README file that describes the how to update the
checksums? Also, the instructions in
[UPDATING-lucene.txt](https://github.com/openjdk/jfx/blob/master/apps/samples/Ensemble8/UPDATING-lucene.txt)
 should be updated accordingly.
2. Some of the files listed are not used directly. I presume that you added
them because they are used indirectly by other components? Are all of them
actually needed?