On Mon, 21 Jun 2021 15:04:26 GMT, Michael Strauß <mstra...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> An overloaded method with a new signature is still a new method that adds to
>> the public API, although in an easy to understand way. I agree that the same
>> argument could be made for it as for `loadBinary(URL)`, but if neither are
>> needed, then maybe we would be better off to deprecate the existing method
>> (not as part of this enhancement, of course), rather than adding a similar
>> one that also isn't needed as part of the public API. On the other hand, if
>> there is a good reason, I don't see a problem adding this new method.
>>
>> If you do propose to add this API, you will need to add an appropriate
>> `@since` tag, and you should write an API-level test for this method as part
>> of `StylesheetTest`.
>
> It seems to me that the only useful thing an application developer could do
> with a `Stylesheet` instance is to inspect its contents (the relevant APIs in
> javafx.css are public, after all). That seems like a niche use case, but to
> the extent that there are applications out there that inspect binary
> stylesheets, having the option to load them from a stream seems at least
> marginally useful.
>
> I slightly lean towards adding this public API also to not having to
> introducing a new helper class _just_ for this one benign method. If you have
> a stronger opinion on this, please go ahead and make the call.

Avoiding the need for an accessor isn't sufficient reason, but I do like the
symmetry with the existing `loadBinary(URL)` method. Also, one can create a
`Stylesheet` by parsing a text file using the various `parse` methods of
`CssParser`, so there is ample precedent for doing this. I have no objection to
the public method.