Thanks John. I managed to fix my issue by replacing the paths in the wiki's
'windows_tools.properties' file.

As for your fix, I did delete the build folder and had the VS150COMNTOOLS
variable defined, but didn't know about '/cygdrive/c/Windows/System32' (I
have '%SystemRoot%\system32' which is exported to Cygwin correctly). The
properties file was still wrong and caused errors.

I also run gradle builds from Eclipse, so Cygwin isn't always used.