On Mon, 18 Dec 2023 22:00:28 GMT, Kevin Rushforth <k...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> I did a build with GTK 3.22 (so it compiles the new code, does the dlsym, and
> does the runtime check) and verified that there are no regressions when
> running on an older system (Ubuntu 16.04).

That sounds good.

> If we decide that is a reasonable thing to do, we might want the minimum
> _build-time_ version of GTK to be higher than the minimum version we support
> at _runtime_.

That makes sense. We already do this with libc. When building (using the devkit
based on the OpenJDK devkit), we use later versions of certain libraries, but
we make sure the binaries still work on systems with older versions of the
libraries. We should clearly state the minimum runtime requirements for some
libraries (rather than for distributions, as it is always possible to hack new
versions of libraries into old releases) .
What I really want to avoid is having 2 (or more) versions of the binaries for
the same platform/arch/os combination.

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jfx/pull/1305#issuecomment-1862376357