Le 2024-02-23 à 13 h 34, Johan Vos a écrit :

That is not to say that we should not do anything. On the contrary, I'd love it if we could do more. But in the right place. Stability and basic features inside OpenJFX, experiments and libraries in the ecosystem.

JavaFX could have a "basic" Rich Text Area (RTA) for common needs such as syntax coloration, underlining errors, etc., and external projects such as Gluon could have more sophisticated controls for more advanced needs. I would appreciate a lot to have a Rich Text Area included in JavaFX for "basic" needs, because it would avoid adding another dependency. I'm always very reluctant to do the latter, because few projects are economical in their own dependencies. Many projects bring ton of dependencies, often outdated, often conflicting with other projects bringing different versions of the same dependencies.

So I do not see a JavaFX RTA and a Gluon RTA as mutually exclusive. I would use the JavaFX one for e.g., syntax coloration, and if I need something more advanced I would look at the alternatives. This is the same situation as other controls such as DatePicker or ColorPicker: they are sufficient for "basic" needs, more elaborated alternatives may exist in other projects.

    Martin