On Tue, 26 Mar 2024 16:38:07 GMT, Andy Goryachev <ango...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> > We should replace this with the recommended sort order.
>
> My 2 cents would be on the other side: I would strongly recommend **against**
> enforcing a specific order, especially since it causes no issues. We should
> avoid wildcards, yes (except for static imports), but the order - we should
> follow the current recommendation of ignoring the order. The main reason it
> is adding zero value and costs some time (just like whitespace warnings in
> jcheck).

I agree that we shouldn't _enforce_ the order (and didn't mean to imply
otherwise). I do see some value in having a "soft" recommendation, though, and
encouraging IDE users to configure their IDEs with those recommendations.
Otherwise, it can be a source of merge conflicts if one IDE sorts it one way,
and another IDE sorts it a different way, and two different people are
proposing changes to the same file. Maybe unlikely, but it has happened.

So the questions are:
1. Should we have at least a soft recommendation or leave it unspecified?
2. If the answer to 1 is "yes", what should that recommendation be?

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jfx/pull/1420#issuecomment-2020970308