> As for address, I don't see that it would ever make sense for all cores to
> resume at the same address.

There are cases where it could make sense. E.g. common startup code executed by
all cores (aka RISC-V harts). In fact, a lot of multi-hart RISC-V implementions
do exactly that at startup - have all harts execute some common/shared code
until such time as initialisation gets them executing different code from
different memory regions.

> So if the resume address is specified in a multi-core configuration, then
> either:

> 1) only that core should resume, or

What do you mean by "that core"?

Aren't all cores treated as a single entity when part of an SMP group, in
particular when it comes to halt and resume? The OpenOCD resume command has no
way of identifying an individual SMP core and I don't know of any "out of band"
mechanism for doing so either?

If an (optional) address is specified to the resume command then, as things
stand, it seems correct to me from an OpenOCD perspective for all cores to be
resumed at that address. Whether or not that makes sense is the responsibility
of the debugger user. :⁠-⁠)