On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 7:37 PM, David Brownell<davi...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 June 2009, Ųyvind Harboe wrote:
>> - make all reset event scripts run with background
>>   events disabled.
>
> Surprises me that's not already the case...
>
> Note that output of "poll" doesn't say whether the timer
> thing is active.  So it's pretty much hidden.
>
> Also, that the documentation doesn't mention *why* this
> background activity might be desired.  Is there a better
> reason than "that's how it's always been done"?

An example of why this was done in the past is that when
you type "resume", you want to get a message when the
target halts. So when the command line is in idle, you poll.

However, I've given some thought to when polling should
be active and perhaps we have gotten it wrong and
*no* polling should be done.

Instead we could define that a telnet session that shows
a prompt is *NOT* idle, but rather that a telnet prompt waiting
for input is polling the *active* target.

So during execution of a command or when the telnet
is closed and only gdb is running, there is no background
polling.

I'm not a great fan of numerous handlers that listens
for events(control inversion) and invokes fn's that somehow
have to figure out if it is time to do something or other...

--
Øyvind Harboe
Embedded software and hardware consulting services