On Jun 23, 2009, at 21:20, Freddie Chopin wrote:
> Anders Montonen pisze:
>> Right, but section four says "You may not copy, modify, sublicense,
>> *or*
>> distribute the Program" (emphasis added). If it just concerned
>> distribution then there would be no room for interpretation.
> Still I don't see that as a distribution. The patch by itself is
> WORTHLESS it needs an executable, moreover - a RIGHT executable.

It's not about distribution. The patched binary obviously doesn't
satisfy the terms of the GPL, so by my interpretation you no longer
have the license to use it. This renders the patch pointless.

> Why do you consider it OK to overinterpret the license just because it
> inconveniences you? In things I create I take the pragmatic view -
> when
> something is given for free (like the ftd2xx.dll library) than it is
> meant to be used, for free - I'm not creating artificial problems that
> would prevent me to use that "something".

My opinion is that if some software uses a certain license then you
have to follow it. This is partly out of respect for the authors,
partly because of the categorical imperative and partly out of a sense
of self-preservation. If you can't obey the terms of the license then
you don't use it. Sometimes that means you can't take the easy way out
and that you don't get everything for free, but that's just the way it
is.

>> Everyone who uses OpenOCD is a developer in some capacity.
> Perfectly true, but you agree that using USB on Windows in C++ is not
> very much like writing code for bare-metal ARM7 in ANSI-C? Yes -
> both of
> those are "programming"...

If you're a firmware engineer, the odds are sooner or later you'll be
tasked with working with a device that communicates over USB. At that
point it is extremely useful to be able to write even some bare-bones
communications software without having to wait for some driver
developer to do their bit.

>> Look at it as an opportunity to learn some new
>> skills.
> I'd love to, but I'm affraid that before I'd do anything Windows 7
> will
> be very much out-dated. The problem is that a solution (a good
> solution!) is required now, not in months or years.

Ah, but just think about all those hordes of Windows OpenOCD users who
will be waiting to shower you with gratitude..

Regards,
Anders