On Jun 23, 2009, at 11:49 AM, Zach Welch wrote:

On Tue, 2009-06-23 at 20:20 +0200, Freddie Chopin wrote:
[snip]
Why do you consider it OK to ignore a license just because it
inconveniences you? Do you hold the same view regarding things you create?

Why do you consider it OK to overinterpret the license just because it inconveniences you? In things I create I take the pragmatic view - when
something is given for free (like the ftd2xx.dll library) than it is
meant to be used, for free - I'm not creating artificial problems that
would prevent me to use that "something".
[snip]

Why do you consider it OK to ignore what I and other contributors are
saying about the license?

Because you are only a fraction of the community and the community as a whole decides.

Why do you feel it necessary to disrespect
our copyright claims?

I don't see how he is. Now, the two interpretations of the license allow slightly different uses, but that isn't disrespect, it's a difference of opinion. One that can't be settled by restating each other's side. There needs to be discussion or an actual legal analysis that shows which interpretation is correct.

If we interpret it thusly, why do you think that
your interpretation should be considered more valid than ours view?
What if I told you that my interpretation is based in part on having
paid an attorney to counsel me in such nuances?  Would that matter?

Probably, but so far, we've seen nothing but conjecture from both sides.

You are being disrespectful to contributors that have made this
decision; it is theirs to make and theirs alone.

No, the decision was to distribute under the GPL, not a specific interpretation of the GPL. If it turns out that Freddie's interpretation has more legal ground, then you are stuck with complying. That also isn't being disrespectful. It's being true to the letter of the license.

In that way, there is
no doubt that you _are_ creating problems by beating this dead horse.

There is only no doubt to you and a few others. This isn't a dead horse to the community. It's a discussion where a few people want their way and refuse to hold discussion about alternatives.

What will it take to get you and others to drop this issue?

An actual resolution by the community and not a triumvirate declaration based on their interpretation of the license.

Cheers,

Zach

Rick Altherr
kc8...@kc8apf.net

"He said he hadn't had a byte in three days. I had a short, so I split it with him."
 -- Unsigned