I also generally prefer python. However, Python apps are really only
more stable than C apps insofar as segfaults go. I would dare say git
gets much more solid testing, as it's used by the Linux kernel,
where just about every new feature will be tried and beaten on. Only
one unstable release, ever (so far) in the history of git, has had
data consistency problems, and the warning went out on the mailing list
within a few minutes. That was years ago, and hasn't happened again since.

If you watch Linus' Google Tech Talk on Git, he makes several points
about workflows that are only possible with the performance you get
from the C-based core of git. He discusses Mercurial as interesting,
but it's Python base will cause it to perform worse for many operations.
See http://www.whygitisbetterthanx.com for some performance/feature
comparisons including with Mercurial.