Hello Oyvind! :-)

On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 7:43 AM, Øyvind Harboe <oyvind.har...@zylin.com> wrote:
> I've been pondering adding a new target that would use a
> gdbserver as a backend.
>
> Here it would be possible to use e.g. OpenOCD's
> thread support against commercial GDB servers that
> add support for targets that OpenOCD does not (yet)
> support.

I was wondering about this also, maybe sounds strange but there are
even some applications where such situation takes place where one of
the targets can be external closed source application with gdb-bridge
enabled. This could make use of OpenOCD as a "router" that could start
given external application with some parameters and then connect to
that application "as interface". For example this might be helpful in
creating new targets and functionalities that does not yet work, so
user can once use open-source interface and internal target code, or
closed source application and commercial interface - both to access
the same physical target..

So the question is - should it be set at "target" or rather "virtual
interface" layer that could then start external application having gdb
server to connect to, where target would be set by external
configuration file or commandline parameters of the application
(usually this needs some clicking on gui windows).

Best regards,
Tomek