There is no problem with binary drivers.  The GPL provides
a test where you can determine if linking non-GPL code is OK.
Read the GPL or details but if the linked code uses a well
defined interface and in theory there _could_ be multiple
suppliers for the non-GPl'd binary then the binary, even when
linked is not actualy part of your code but just something
your GPL'd code "talks to".  THere is no restriction on what
GPL's code can comunicate with

But that binary code _really_ must be "just something your software
communicats with and they do provide a good test criteria.

THere are many examples of binary drivers being linked to
GPL's code.  Just look at the Nvidia drivers in the Linux kernel
or look at the Windows DLLs that Mplayer or Wine uses.

--- Peter Nixon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed 14 Dec 2005 19:11, Mikael Magnusson wrote:
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > > hi All,
> > >
> > > I have some boards I would like to add support for in OpenPBX,
> but I
> > > just realized that I can't release the driver since it contains
> (1)
> > > binary firmware + (2) a binary component I don't have source for.
> > >
> > > My understanding of GPL is that it will be impossible to use
> OpenPBX
> > > with this board and distribute the driver even if it's free ?
> > >
> > > Does anyone have a solution for this, cause it can't be in the
> interest
> > > of this group to have a limitation on what boards we can use with
> > > OpenPBX???
> > >
> > > Jan
> >
> > Have you considered using the woomera interface?
>
> Or working with Craig and Derek to write an OPAL driver? OPAL will
> not have a
> license problem with your module(s) and a port of Woomera to OPAL is
> in the
> works..
>
> --
>
> Peter Nixon