On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 06:59:10AM +0100, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
>On Mon, Jan 13, 2003, Bill Campbell wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> May I suggest that this would be a bit clearer with some more meaningful
>> names, and roles.  I'm still not absolutely clear about the use of the
>> opkg-n user.
>>
>> opkg        This is the use/group set that would be used by normal users on
>> [...]
>> opkg-root   This is the manager with full read/write permissions throughout
>> [...]
>> opkg-devel  Developer access which would have read/write access to
>> [...]
>>
>> The actual user names should probably be opkgroot and opkgdev to prevent
>> problems with user names > 8 characters long.
>
>Keep in mind that the name, name-n and name-r user/group ids are just
>_DEFAULTS_ and were choosen excactly because of the limited length
>restrictions on some platforms. You can force the use of _arbitrary_
>names by using --{s,m,r,n}{usr,grp}=<name> on the openpkg-*.src.sh
>command line instead of --{user,group}=<name>. Nothing is hard-coded, so
>you can achieve your wish above with --susr=opkg-root --sgrp=opkg-root
>--musr=opkg --mgrp=opkg ...

I understand that.  My suggestion pertained more to the documentation than
the implementation on the grounds that the names are familiar to Unix
admins and developers.

Bill

``We'll show the world we are prosperous, even if we have to go broke to do
it.''
    Will Rogers
Developer Communication List                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]