Chris Hart wrote:
> Setting asset_database to "local" will store your assets in a .db sqlite
> database on your file system, and not in MySQL at all. If you run in
> grid mode, you should always set this to "grid" to avoid confusion
> unless you are connecting to someone else's grid and want your assets to
> be stored locally and not on their asset server.
>
> I have to say I made that same mistake when first starting out with
> opensim and had to migrate all my assets over to my database server.
> Several others have made the same mistake and I've had to help them to
> migrate their assets too - is the local storage model really that widely
> used? Should it actually be the default? For standalone I'm guessing it
> is  ignored(?), but in grid mode I've found it just causes pain and
> confusion.

Chris is right - I find the asset_database switch annoying because it catches
me out on occasion.

The problem with using local assets on a grid is one of grid asset
blakanization - people coming to your region can't
see your assets (because their requests go to the grid asset service rather
than your local asset store) and when you go
to other people's regions you can't rez objects you created on your local
region.

But it strikes me that now, if you wanted to retain your regions assets
locally, you could set up your region as a
hypergrid enabled region, as Hypergrid regions use the local asset store (there
is conceptually no global).

In view of this, I'd like to completely remove the asset_database option.  This
would mean that in standalone and
hypergrid modes, the db used would always be local and in grid mode the grid
asset service would always be used.

Are there any objections to this?

> Chris / Strawberry Fride

justincc