Charles Krinke wrote:
> OSGrid exists with two goals.
>
> 1. Test OpenSim SVN on a regular basis and report results to aid in
> software development.
> 2. Nurture a community.
>
> We need to start by considering that OpenSim splits the asset storage
> between regions and the OpenSim assetServer. So, the OpenSim asset model
> is a little different then SecondLife since we already distribute some
> assets between regions and the UGAIM.

I didn't know you were doing this already.  Is there anywhere you could point
to with more details?

> Are we saying that OSGrid is doing something problematic and pertubating
> the OpenSim development? I am confused about the OSGrid comments in this
> philosophical discussion. As I see the whole situation, OSGrid is
> testing the mainline trunk SVN from OpenSim in a manner consistent with
> the desires of the community.

Not at all.  I think the debate is more about how the architecture will move
forward in the future.  As you know,
regions on OSGrid have to be pretty trustworthy so as not to abuse the central
grid services.  This classic architecture
won't go away, but it might be that active development and research switches to
other architectures (e.g. client side
asset/inventory access, hypergrid), which can be better secured for a robust
distributed virtual environment.

OSGrid may want to consider at some point whether it wants to migrate or switch
to other architectures once these have
matured further.  I doubt that this maturity is all that imminent.

Anyway, I'm probably putting words into Diva's mouth now.