Hey,

Personally I would say that the way to approach "clearing the mantis"
would be... not clearing the mantis :P

Rather, get someone to go through each ticket and jot down a summary of
each; then you'll end up with a list of stuff that needs fixing (or
changing, or adding). The core devs can then hold a meeting with a view
to re-order the list based on their percieved priority, and then publish
it as a list of short term goals.

~T