I remember at least one non-SL viewer written from scratch (forgot its name
though). Last time I tested it years ago, it was only able to render terrain
and prims against a black background, while I think used a Quake 1 model for
avatars. I believe non-SL viewers deserve the appreciation any program does, as
well as Opensim keeping them compatible if they have the same basic
functionality as the SL viewer. All I'm saying is, such viewers will 99.9%
likely never have someone motivated enough to develop them anywhere near SL
quality. And even if that happened, they probably wouldn't turn out that
different, since the base mechanics and features would have to be the same. So
it's unlikely they'll have a bright future, which is why I'm hoping they won't
become a focus for Opensim. I'd also be worried if OS would ever had to
dedicate itself to multiple programs, and supporting the changes each unique
viewer might add if others aren't going to add it too.

I'll probably look at that video a bit later... missed watching Opensim
meetings like in the old days. As for the relationship part, I meant Opensim
not being directly involved with any of the viewer code using it (as far as I
know). Although it's comforting to know the Firestorm team is decided to make
sure FS works well in Opensim, it's still a different team and a different
application. It doesn't solve the situation of a server (Opensim) without any
clients of its own. It's not that hard to find your own viewer of course, but
it tends to give the feeling that things aren't that stable and in harmony, and
if something happens to one side the other might not be there to help. And
yeah, don't get me started on Linden lol.