Well, you're familiar with the command line, which many are now.
Also, without cygwin, Windows is somewhat command line challenged.

As for the "proprietary" bit - Avination does not use ini files.
This encoding was done for the benefit of the open source community,
we ourselves have no need of it.

Melanie